Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Coming Soon to an Online Course Near You: Essay-Grading Software?


Times are a-changin'… or are they? I have written about my peers in the CBT (Computer-Based Training) realm in the late '80s and early '90s who were afraid our work would someday push them out of a job. It took me a while to realize what was most likely driving that fear for a lot of them: the way they were building their CBT courses. We have all experienced the snoozefest that is the "Next & Previous" navigation buttons. Used in a limited basis, they are great, but if that's all your CBT or eLearning course is… well, a monkey could complete that with flying colors.




When we entered the age of machine-graded quiz questions, that fear ramped up a notch or two… and then settled down when people realized there really is no loss of quality student contact time; actually, there is usually more, when the instructor makes use of their LMS's tools to handle more of the mundane tasks.

But I digress (I know, that's not like me). Check out this interesting read about essay grading software, let it simmer in your brain for a while, then share your impressions here.

No comments: