Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Here Is Why eLearning Content Should NOT be Native Files

Check out the text message support conversation I had recently:


Student: I think my Office Word 2010 was expired or my computer didn't operate for 2013 which my instructor uses. I can't afford to buy Microsoft Office - please help!

Me: Sure! Please reply with your name, Student ID number, and the Moodle course in question.

Student: My only problem is I couldn't open syllabus and schedule. My concern is not able to look up for a slide show and upcoming homeworks.

Me: I will update the content in your course with web pages instead of native Word and PowerPoint files so you can view them in your browser. You will be all set in a few minutes. 

Student: I now use the web page versions of the items you fixed and all are working. I am very thankful for the work you have done for me.

Are there more reasons not to deploy online course content as native files? Sure, how about:

Accessibility
A screenreader can read a web page better than it can navigate to a link, download a file, locate that file, open that file, and read it aloud.

Conformity to Modern Web Navigation Standards
When you click a link on the Web, you expect to be taken to another Web page, not a file to download… and locate, and open… 

File Management Issues
You're not taking an online course to learn computer file management. Unless you are. But you're probably not.

File Compatibility Issues
Remember the Microsoft Office compatibility issue? Need we say more?

With today's technology, it's actually easier, and less work to publish eLearning content as web pages rather than native files. If you don't know how, find someone who can help you learn (your LMS Administrator and/or Instructional Designer, for example). You will be doing yourself and your students a big favor.

No comments: